This profound truth of the Now Gen comes our friend Pastor Erick Penn in Three…
The Sweet Smell of Spring
Donna Hostetler, April 4, 2016
“Spring cleaning” is on! It’s also a great time to take a look (and smell) at your children’s ministry or student ministry areas. As consultants we arrive at a variety of facilities and see what guests see, sometimes good and sometimes not.
Consider this “Spring Clean” checklist:
- How easy is it for guests to locate your children’s or student’s facility? Are there clear directional signs? (Are there guides at service times?)
- How does your facility smell? Yes, smell? Is there a lingering odor from previous Sundays, last Friday night’s event? Is there a smell of diapers or mustiness?
- Are the carpets stained, stretched, snagged or well worn? Are vinyl floors skid-marked?
- Do the rooms and contents look organized or are there stacks of supplies, miscellaneous piles, lost and found?
- Are monitor screens showing current information?
- Are wall or counter flyers/posters current?
- Are bulletin boards attractive and seasonally up-to-date?
- Are the toys dirty or room equipment broken?
- Do rooms or hallways need a fresh coat of paint? Are they marred, needing touch-up?
It’s easy to overlook any of the above. But your guests will notice. Think about your own perceptions when you walk into a restaurant for the first time. You’re looking for the “A”. The same is true for parents leaving their children or students in your facility. Time to clean up!